Global Mapper v15 is Now Available!
Blue Marble Geographics is pleased to announce the availability of the official
Global Mapper v15 release for download at
If you need the 64-bit version you can download and install that from
Numerous significant enhancements and new features have been made to Global Mapper since v11. The most significant changes are described below:
New in v15
- Significant New Features
- Added support for feature extension plugins to Global Mapper. These allow 3rd-parties and customers to create add-ins to Global Mapper to extend functionality through their own toolbars and/or menu items. The feature extensions will have access to all data loaded in the Global Mapper application instance through same API used by the Global Mapper SDK. There is an item under the Help menu for managing the installation and registration of feature extension plugins and add-in modules. For more information contact sales.
- New LiDAR module with advanced LiDAR analysis functionality. The licensing is handled under a new Help menu option for working with module and feature extension licenses. Visit our purchasing page for more info.
- Added Raster Calculator under Analysis menu for performing mathematical operations on multi-band imagery to extract different types of information. Users can use pre-defined formulas, like NDVI and NDWI, or create your own free-hand formulas using common mathematical operations, like addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and powers, as well as simple operators like absolute value, minimum value, and maximum value of 2 values.
- Added support for passing variables on the command line to a script. Users can provide the variable after the script (.gms) filename itself on the command line in the form '-var_name var_value'. For example,
'global_mapper.exe "c:\my_path\my_script.gms" -my_var my_var_value'
- New Supported Formats
- Added support for importing and exporting 3D PDF files. Underlying data format in PDF 3D Annotations may be U3D or PRC. However PRC is not supported at this time.
- Added support for loading E57 Lidar files.
- Added support for CMIP5 HDF5 data sets with sea surface temperatures.
- Added support for loading text files with the coordinates stored as ECEF (Earth-Centered Earth-Fixed) coordinates. The Coordinate Format drop-down on the ASCII Text Import dialog has an option to specify that the coordinates are ECEF.
- Added support for GCP (control-point) files with the pixel coordinates specified as a percentage value rather than an absolute pixel coordinate. Userful when users have text placement files with just the corner coordinates users can easily add 0% or 100% for the X and Y pixel coordinates of each corner to get a good placement.
New in Previous Releases
- Improved Volume Measurement Tools such as one too measure the volume difference within multiple area features.
- Added new right-click option to the ‘Search Vector Data’ dialog to allow calculating and displaying the statistics for a numeric column in a result set including minimum, maximum, average, and standard deviation.
- Many scripting updates and additions, including support for calculating attributes, splitting layers, and interactively prompting users for files and folders.
- Many LiDAR enhancements, including search by elevations, rendering of points based on return value, point loading slider bar, reporting tools for point cloud density, improved import/export options including point cloud to DXF/DWG.
- Additional LiDAR processing improvements such as;
- Dramatic increase in LiDAR processing and display speed, and the ability to view and process point files in the hundreds of millions range. This is beneficial for previewing the data before processing and includes rendering intensity values in a variety of ways such as; limiting import by return type, statistics display and feature attribute editing
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files are now able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data in line with the best compression on the market today
- Ability to render the intensity values as grayscale images, coloring by LiDAR classification, and coloring by point elevation or RGB color if present
- Ability to limit import of LiDAR files by return type (like first, last, first of many, last of many return, etc.)
- Added display of a large number of statistics for LiDAR data
- Updated editing of LiDAR point features to have special edit dialogues for the attributes that apply to LiDAR point data
- Global Mapper Package (GMP) files now being able to store Lidar point clouds in a special compressed manner much smaller (4-10 times usually) than uncompressed LAS data
- New USB Dongle licensing available
- Added new Analysis menu (formerly the Terrain Analysis Menu) option to compute the areas covered when you raise the water level of selected areas or a fixed elevation by some height. This is useful for modeling the rise of a flood plain by some height or by modeling sea level rise
- Added option to Analysis menu to allow calculation of Voronoi/Theissen polygons for loaded point features
- New File Formats: GeoMedia MDB, DWG 2013, MapBox MBTiles and RMaps SQlite files for use on mobile devices like Andriod and much more
- Many new Digitizer tool improvements and bug fixes including a new option to Advanced Feature Creation submenu to create a coverage area (concave hull) for loaded or selected point features. This allows you to easily get the coverage for an irregularly shaped grouping of points, like in a Lidar data set
- Updated DigitalGlobe premium imagery with access to new DigitalGlobe servers with faster access to more up-to-date and higher resolution imagery in most locations
- Added support for specifying custom paper sizes for geospatial PDF export.
- Added MapQuest OpenAerial Worldwide Imagery as built-in source
- Load many geospatial PDF files at higher resolution
- Added built-in access to Geologic Map datasets for most of the world using the Download Online Imagery/Data menu
- Many enhancements to the Digitizer tool
- New format support for LogASCII, Norwegian SOSI export, PCI Geomatix PIX, NDVI in HDF5 format, EasyGPS .loc, and several others
- Added new network licensing option with borrow feature and concurrent seat access.
- New Geospatial PDF functionality like import/export to 64-bit versions, ability to select which layer to load and ability to load multi-page PDfs with geo-positioning.
- Significantly sped up depression filling step when generating watersheds/drainage areas.
- Added built-in access to land cover datasets and generation of grids from layers.
- Many new enhancements to the Digitizer tool.
- Added support for LAS 1.4 and LASzip (compressed Lidar) files.
- Added support for JeoJSON and Digital Bathymetric Database Variable Resolution (DBDB-V).
- Added built-in access to the NAIP color high-resolution imagery for the entire United States via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added built-in access to the ASTER GDEM terrain data at 1.5 arc second (~45m) resolution for the entire world via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added built-in access to 1/3rd arc second (~10m resolution) US NED terrain data using the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added built-in access to premium Parcel data for the entire US via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added built-in access to additional online Worldwide Imagery, Street Maps, MapQuest OSM Street Maps, and Topo Maps using the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added new MapMart On Demand premium data source to the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command. This source provides easy access to the large library of data sets that MapMart.com provides.
- Added support for loading ESRI File Geodatabase (GDB) data sets.
- Added support for generating density grids from point features in a loaded layer. This density grid can be based on either just a count of the point features or any numeric attribute value associated with the points.
- Added support for joining a file with attributes to the attribute table of an existing loaded spatial layer against a common attribute.
- Added support for loading data from WCS (Web Coverage Service) data sources using the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
- Added support for automatically delineating stream networks and watershed areas using loaded terrain/DEM data using the File->Generate Watershed menu command.
- Added 'Point Styles' tab to Options dialog for vector layers with point features allowing users to setup the styling of points in a layer. Now users can use the default type-based styling, apply a single style to all point features in a layer, setup an attribute-based styling system that styles the points based on the value of an attribute value or the display label, or randomly assign colors to the dot or custom symbols for points in a layer.
- Added option to export tiles conforming to the OSM (OpenStreetMaps) and TMS (Tile Map Service) standards for tile naming and zoom levels.
- Updated the Download Online Imagery/Data interface to group data sources to allow easily finding data sources of a particular type or covering a particular area.
- Updated the Control Center to support assigning groups to selected layers via the right-click menu. Those groups can then be collapsed in the Control Center to allow easily selecting, closing, or hiding/showing that group.
- Added new right-click option to the Digitizer Tool for creating a regular grid of areas anchored at some point and of user-specified size, rotation angle, and naming.
- Added ability to export BIL/BIP/BSQ and JPEG2000 raster files with multiple bands of data at 8, 16, or 32-bit depth (similar to what was possible before for GeoTIFF exports).
- Added option to use halo fonts for text display. Halo fonts display a thin border around text of a slightly different color, making the text visible on any background.
- Updated the export interface to replace the long sub-menus with dialogs allowing format selection to prevent overflowing the export format lists off of the screen.
- Updated the map legend display based on vector types to allow labeling each style in the legend by the feature type, name, or any attribute value, in addition to the feature description which is what was always used before.
- Added new EDIT_VECTOR script command (replacing the ASSIGN_TYPES command) to allow adding/updating feature attributes values and display labels, reclassifying features, rotating/scaling/offsetting feature coordinates, or marking features as deleted by searching loaded features for matches against their attributes/label values and/or types.
- Added support for loading HCRF marine chart files, including the ARCS chart series from the UKHO.
Many other enhancements and bug fixes were made as well. See the
page at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-new-features.php for a complete list of changes.
As always, upgrades and new licenses can be purchased from the Purchase page at